Kern County Sheriffs Beat Man to Death

14 May

Sheriff Deputies beat Kern County Man to death. Eight sheriffs took their batons and beat the deceased (Silva)

Other witnesses stated that they also video taped the beating, but that the Sheriffs “confiscated” their cell phones. The Sheriff deputies essentially imprisoned these individuals in their homes until they obtained a search warrant. What were their grounds for taking the other witnesses cell phone? Preservation of evidence of course…sounds like a cover up.

The Fourth Amendment and the Deputies right to preserve evidence must be weighed in situations like this. An individuals right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures cannot be swayed simply because something the “Police” did not want leaked to the general public was caught on film. In the year of 2013, where every individual has a camera on their cell phone, there is no reason for behavior like this to continue. Perhaps its the authorities who need to re-evaluate their tactics to conform with modern day society. Beating a man to death for no apparent reason is simply not acceptable, but then to cover it up by utilizing the legal system to “preserve evidence” is taking the situation to an entirely different level.

May 8th, 2013 BAKERSFIELD, CA — Kern County deputies beat an intoxicated man to death in the street Tuesday night, then detained and intimidated witnesses, confiscated video evidence, and arrested another man who spoke out. David Silva was beaten with batons, left in a pool of blood until an ambulance finally arrived after he was already dead.

A female 9-1-1 caller named Selena told the dispatcher, “There’s a man laying on the floor, and your police officers beat the (expletive) out of him and killed him.” She said that she witnessed the victim do nothing wrong to cause 8 officers to bludgeon him to death. “These cops had no reason to do this to this man.”

A 19-year-old male witness, Ruben Ceballos, was awakened around midnight by screams and loud banging noises outside his home. He said he ran to the left side of his house to find out who was causing the ruckus.”When I got outside I saw two officers beating a man with batons and they were hitting his head so every time they would swing, I could hear the blows to his head.” He said that Silva was on the ground screaming for help, but officers continued to beat him After several minutes, Silva stopped screaming and was no longer responsive, according to Ceballos.

Another witness, Jason Land, said that he witnessed the beating of David Silva. “They jumped out, reached for their bats, and beat that man until they killed him,” he said, “right in front of my face.” Land spoke up about what he saw and was arrested as retaliation. The witness was on probation and says police responded to his eyewitness report by claiming he was high on PCP and arrested him without any proof.

Witnesses also say that the victim’s body was left to bleed out in the street for a prolonged period without any medical attention, wasting crucial minutes before the ambulance arrived. By that point, it was too late and CPR attempts were futile.

Other witnesses, including Melissa Quair, were harassed and told that they must surrender their cell phones as “evidence.” Their houses were even searched as a crime scene in order to confiscate the video evidence.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: